Tonight my sister took all 3 boys birthday shopping & I thought I'd tag along. Once she was done paying, we had to wait for a price check on another item so we waited towards the front of the store. We were just standing there chatting when they lady returned & told us the price. We decided we didn't wanted it & started walking out. As we did, we realized that Combi wasn't with us. We started calling for him but nothing. I began walking back into the store while one sister went one direction & the other one checked in the entrance area of the store. Still nothing. My heart sank & I panicked! I then saw my sister run outside screaming Combi's name in a panic as I followed her. I stepped to see my son walking away holding a man's hand. I screamed his name & he turned around with tears streaming down his face & ran towards me. Thankfully the man holding his hand was a Walmart employee. It didn't stop me from flipping out & causing a scene in front of the store, while I yelled at him. (Sorry to anyone who might have seen me). Of course that only scared him more but at that point I wasn't thinking that he was OK. I was only thinking about what could've happened.
Once we got home & he finally stopped crying, we were able to sit, talk & hug. I'm so glad he's safe but boy what a lesson for both of us. 3 adults standing there did not see him slip away. He apparently walked over to the cart area unnoticed & thought he saw me walk out. When he walked up to this lady & realized it wasn't me, he began to cry & went back in the store where an employee saw him & took him to try to find us.
My heart is still pounding & I'm feeling a little sick. Sick that he disappeared & I didn't even notice. Sick that I flipped out instead of hugging him & telling him that I loved him. Sick that we have to worry about such things in this sick world.
I guess I should be grateful that it was nothing but right now I'm just stuck in that yucky place.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
IN THE MOOD FOR...
- holiday fun (6)
- lessons learned (3)
- let the family times roll (10)
- randomness (7)
- sweet deals (2)
- the 3 little boys (39)
- we be trippin' (11)
6 comments:
oh, man! that is so stinkin scary. i lost grace once at mervyns when she was two. i almost had a heart attack. i was literally screaming hysterically. it is the one in layton so there is are two exits that go out into mall parking and on that goes into the mall itself and i was like 9 months pregnant and screaming, "help me!!! she has blond hair and a pink coat! almost two! help me!" then, here's the good but sad part, somebody says they thought they saw her go out the side door so i ran and somebody was walking her back inside. I scooped her up and was so hysterical. there was this huge group around me waiting for me to say everything was fine and to thank them for their help or whatever, but what did i do? i just made a loud crying noise and ran straight out of the store with out saying a word to any of that crowd of people who had nicely been helping me. you don't really know how you're going to react when in that situation where you think of what the horrific possibilities could have been and are for so many parents.
i can't sleep because of pre-haiti jitters but i will quickly go now to say a prayer of thanks that combi is fine and that my little ones are all sleeping fine in their beds (or my womb)
that is THE worst feeling in the world. we "lost" cole at a family function in the canyon - of all places. i've never been so sick in all my life. one of us ran to the road, the other to the river and the rest split up just calling his name. it's amazing how fast they can get away - one little instance. thankfully he was safely in the arms of my sister, down the road a little talking to friends of hers. she thought i'd seen her take him. obviously not -- but it still makes you so grateful they are safe ... ugh. but so scary too. i'm glad he was ok. i'm glad he was in the hands of a kind employee who was just trying to help and not something worse ... i'm glad it had a happy ending.
i lost ella last winter at the tree jubilee at the odgen conference center. we were with my friend amanda's family and her little sammie has the same brown hair and was wearing a similar pink coat as ella, so it took me like three or four minutes to realize that sammie was not ella. luckily some boy scouts (kind of ironic) found her and took her to the employees where she was crying, but ok. and the worst thing was i told wade i couldn't find her and thought he went off looking for her, but apparently he didn't even listen to me and went to the bathroom instead. i'm glad you found corb and that he's ok and maybe he'll learn something from it and not wander. seth is my worst at wandering.
That's so scary! I've had a little scare like that before, but not quite that bad. What happened to the good ole days when we were kids and bad stuff didn't happen?
O you are so good. That could have happened to anyone and I like to think of those moments happening to keep us in check or preparing us so that the real thing doesn't happen. You are such a good good mom and I just hope you know I am so sorry you had to have that bad experience.
Aaaaagh! How scary Pooka! I'm so glad that everything turned out alright though. Just think of it as just that, a lesson learned. Hopefully he'll think twice about leaving your side. You're a great mom so don't feel too bad that first there came the yelling. Your mama bear instincts came out first which was totally natural.
Love ya girl.
Post a Comment