Sunday, January 11, 2009

Disneyland Newbie

Alright I'm requesting some assistance from all you Disneyland experts. We are FINALLY going to go this year & of course I plan everything months or even years in advance (2011 cruise!). This is our dilemma, we don't know how long to go for. We only want to do Disneyland since we've done everything else. So do we do 4 days or maybe 5? We're getting a park hopper & we don't want to rush through...
Also, where's the best place to get tickets? I've heard getaway today has good deals. I'm partial to ARES travel who I have used a lot for other tix.
I would also like suggestions on eating & anything else you may find helpful. My favorite travel info website (mousesavers.com) said they have lockers outside you can put small coolers in. Has anyone done this?
Please understand that I'm a planner so details are important to me. So please share any tips you may have.
Thanks!

4 comments:

Lover of Sweets said...

Pooka Pooka Pookychu!
Yes, it has been a while and I am SO glad that one of your New Years resolutions is to see me more! I was much too ashamed too see you for Christmas as I haven't finished the advent calendar I started for your family 2 years ago! I love you though!
Disneyland...Ok, so obviously food gets expensive so yeah the cooler thing would be awesome and maybe you could limit yourselves to one meal a day in the park, like lunch. Of course being Mrs.Snack Queen I don't have to emphasize the importance of having those on hand as well as water bottles.
Park passes...I say go the 5 days! There's a LOT to see and your boys will definitely have their favorite rides and such (my girls loved the teacups so much they had to go on them about 6 times!).
We used Get Away Today and were quite happy with them. Although next time I am going to vote for staying at a hotel inside the park...it just makes more sense to me and it's awesomely convenient.
In the park...go to the major rides first...Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Thunder Mountain,Indian Jones. USE THE FAST PASSES!
Bear Country is a good place to eat, it overlooks the Riverboat and Tom Sawyer Island and it's in the shade.
Well, there it is, my 2 cents for what it's worth (hopefully more than 2 cents!)
Have fun and when are you going?

Lara said...

Actually I have to agree with many of LOS recommendations. We have used Get-Away-Today as well (located in S. Ogden). We tend to do the cheaper route and priceline hotels near the park. Its a bonus if you get one that has free continental breakfast. Most all of them have a free shuttle. We usually eat one main meal in the park and Bear Country is very kid friendly food. If you want a nice meal the place that overlooks pirates is kind of fun. On occasion we would get a late dinner across the street at McDonalds or bring snacks to tide us over. 3 Day passes have always been enough for us. Fast Pass, Fast Pass, Fast pass, if you master this systems it saves so much time. Unfortunately the Matterhorn does not have it. Go early in the morning and go straight to the high demand ride first like LOS said, for California Adventure these would be Tower of Terror, Soaring over California(very cool ride). You can fast pass Buzz light year too. This last time on our last day we all went to pirates first and all 22 rode the first boat of the day. Be sure to sing "Yo Ho Ho, Its a pirates life for me" as loud as you can through the ride. Its so much funner that way. The tiki house is kind fun when you need a break and a chair to sit on. Our kids loved the Crush animated presentation in California Adventure. Have them watch NEMO on the way. Also, the Star Wars Jedi training was a hit too. Of course you must see the light parade at least once. I could go on so just call me...

Nick said...

I lilke your game idea. I'm starting it today. Also, I know I told you what we do already at D-land, but we generally go for 3 days and do 2 at D-land and 1 at CA adventure. That's enough for us to take our time, but 4 might be better for your first time. Also, they do have lockers, but we've never used them because it's easier to buy food. Though if you're taking your time, you'll have time to eat outside. We got our tickets online from ebay. There's several people who live in CA and buy the CA resident tickets which are way cheaper. They can mail them to you or some will meet you down there. Even with shipping, it's cheaper and they make money on the deal. We stayed at a place across the street for like $100 a night, which is way cheap. It was tiny, but we had free breakfast and could walk to the park. It was good enough for sleeping in anyway. As far as the rides, when you get in, go to the left because everyone always goes right. Totally take advantage of fast passes. We ALWAYS eat at the Pizza Port (or whatever it's called) by Space Mtn. They have ginormous pieces of pizza and delicious pasta. There's a yummy mexican place in CA Adventure we go to too. Submarine ride-totally not worth the long line. Matterhorn is way bumpy and always gives me a headache, but it depends on what your kids can handle. Definitely do the other big rides, though Chris will probably be the only one to do Indiana Jones. Totally get baby swap passes for anything one of your kids can't go on. That means you go w/one of the kids, and then Culley can go thru the fast pass line with the other one. And you can also use your fast passes on top of that so you can go twice. Definitely bring snacks for the kids in your bag if you don't mind carrying it all day. We also bring jeans and sweatshirts for everyone for night time. You can put them in a locker on Main Street and get them at night.

kelly l said...

i'm sad to say that even though i'm the only one from southern california commenting, i have no multi-day disneyland experience. we always just do the one day deal with my family. but i would have to say i've heard the baby swap thing is a good idea, where you get to stay in the front of the line and switch out adults, even though cade can go on 90 percent of the rides at disneyland. and in my opinion, if you're only doing disney and california adventure (which i've never been to), i can't imagine you would need more than three or four days at the most. you really don't need more than two days at disneyland, unless you're doing half day and going somewhere else, but then why pay all that money for a half day. and because you're only doing disney and ca adventure, i wouldn't bother with the hopper passes. and also since you're going in the off season, i don't know if the fast pass would be that advantageous. we've been the last two times in may and it was absolutely dead. i wouldn't have wanted to pay more for a fast pass. it would've been a waste. anyhoo, good luck. you'll get way more disney than i ever have when you go. sad for me.